Hello!

rm5

Reaction score
Hello, I'm @rm5 , but if you want to call me Rowan (my real name), you can! I'd heard about KeyboardForums before, but never decided to join until now. I look forward to all the great discussions I will be able to be a part of here! I'm a jazz pianist, and I've been playing jazz specifically for about six years, so since I was about 12 years old, and I'm so lucky to have studied with some amazing teachers that have made me so much more experienced!

I'd say my primary influences depend on if I'm playing solo piano or in a group setting. In a solo (or duo, like with a horn player/vocalist) context, the amazing (and HEAVILY UNDERRATED) pianist Dave McKenna, who was most known for his solo work on the east coast, is a primary influence—so think left-hand walking bass lines and a bit of stride (Fats Waller/Erroll Garner) influence. In a rhythm section setting, I tend to interpret Herbie Hancock, Brad Mehldau, and Monk.

I'm regularly playing in town, both at jam sessions and on gigs (which my schedule seems to be split about equally between the two). I'm also a producer and film composer, but that's not something I'm as experienced in, although I'm getting there!

So there we go, now you know a bit more about me!

Last edited:

Ask a Question