Help with Roland E-86

Reaction score
Hi, yesterday i bought my first keyboard Roland E-86. It came with 4 loud keys and a broken floppy. I replaced the floppy with a known working one and it still does not work. Firstly i plugged it in correctly and it just came with a green light that is always on and when i insert a disk it just keeps spining forever (no head seek/etc). Then i flipped the cable upside down and now the green light is not on but the issue with spining forever is still there (no head seek, no light, no reading floppy). How can i fix that? I also tried to fix the sticky keys and i dissasembled the key mechanism and i cleaned both the pcb and rubber membrane with alchohol, then i added some graphite using a pencil onto the rubber membrane pads but now none of the keys work. I tried unplugging and plugging in the cables for key mechanism a few times and still the same issue. I also replaced the cr 2032 battery and tried factory reset but that didnt fix any of my issues.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
graphite is a conductor.

You've effectively shorted every key switch.

reversing cables is also a no no.

Reaction score
graphite is a conductor.

You've effectively shorted every key switch.

reversing cables is also a no no.
Well in pc space if you plug in floppy the wrong way its light will always stay on and it wont work thats why i thought to reverse the cable, thanks for telling me about graphite, i used to repair a lot of tv remotes with it, i will clean everything again and hope for the best.
Thanks for reply

Reaction score
Is it quad or dual density?
I think its dual density, it is samsung floppy drive i took from and old pc from early 2000s, i was thinking of buying gotek floppy emulator in future but i wanted to fix this floppy if i can so i can use it while i wait for my gotek

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try it with dual and quad density disks.

Brings back memories of when I bought 720 MB disks and notched them to 1.44 MB. Back in the late 80's. :)

Ask a Question