Hi Guys Im new at this site Nord v.s. Roland?

Reaction score
within a short time I will be purchasing a hammond B3 simulator
it's coming down to 2 choices;
the Nord Electro rack 2 or the Roland VK-8M.
I dont need a keyboard, I have 4 already so its got to be portable.
its mostly for the B3 stuff since I have enough pianos,eps,clavs etc etc
I could really use some advice on my choice, it is a lot of money (for me anyway) I was almost sold on the Roland till I read a bad forum report of someone who had a bad experience with his; distortion/ noise /electrical problems and so on after a year after purchase. He sold it on ebay and bought the Nord
now on the other hand all Ive read was great praise towards the Roland even over the Nord
so Im a lil confused
any input would be much appreciated

Reaction score
I've got the Nord Electro 2 Sixty One, with the same engine as the Electro 2 Rack and can tell you the Hammond sound is superior to the Roland (in my opinion).

I have both a 1957 B3 and a Hammond Xk-3, and the Nord comes amazingly close to the XK3 (with maybe even better Leslie sim) and very close to my vintage B3. I have A/Bd them in my studio and the Nord really stands up well.

Add the power of the Clavinets and the two Rhodes sounds (when used through a good weighted controller) and its a real no brainer (IMHO).

Your mileage may vary!

Good luck in your search.

Reaction score
have any of you guys actually tried or heard the roland

Ive tried the nord,definatly awesome, but read great reviews on harmony central about the roland
plus the demo on utube was good as well.
why didnt the nord add reverb ,that bugs me especially for an organ
roland did have some more features like reverb, real drawbars etc

steve
Kurzweil pc161,roland xv2020,korg M1,korg 05wr,korg sp200 digital piano
Yamaha mm6

Reaction score
There's going to be reverb on the Electro 3. They haven't announced a rack version of that yet, but you might want to hold out a bit and see if they do. I've got a Nord Stage and find that I rarely use the reverb other than for the pianos. I usually play live though, so the sound engineer could add reverb if he felt it necessary.

Reaction score
Yeah Already Looked Into It

emailed Nord about the electro3 and asked about a rackmount
they said nothing at this time
thanks

steve

There's going to be reverb on the Electro 3. They haven't announced a rack version of that yet, but you might want to hold out a bit and see if they do. I've got a Nord Stage and find that I rarely use the reverb other than for the pianos. I usually play live though, so the sound engineer could add reverb if he felt it necessary.

Ask a Question