Instruments in midi file

Reaction score
I am looking for a program that allows you to see at a glance which instruments are used in a midi file. Does anyone know such a program?

Reaction score
I am looking for a program that allows you to see at a glance which instruments are used in a midi file. Does anyone know such a program?
Yes and no. :)

Yes, as I assume that several pieces of player software show names of instruments. - A versatile and free one would be the Melody Player browser plug-in by Myriad.

No, as such program can't tell more than it knows. It will read Track descriptions and it will see Program Change messages, but both are clues. Clues to the intended instruments, as there is no audio in MIDI files.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Any DAW that imports a MID file will display each track's closest match in the GM standard.

Note: That's not necessarily the original soundset that created the file.

Usually when you import or export MIDI to and from a DAW, it makes assumptions for the voices that created them.

Unless it was a GM or GS or XG soundset to begin with, Voicename matchups will not be anything that's an exact match to the original synth.

Reaction score
And of course you could easily download Van Basco's Karaoke Player (Windows) (I had forgotten that in my previous reply)

Attachments

• vanbascoes.jpg
    vanbascoes.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
My MIDI-MIS software will also do so. Standard name sets for GM/GS/XG included, and allows custom name sets as well.

Windows only, work in progress.

Attachments

• 05a - Hyrule Castle.png
    05a - Hyrule Castle.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 04 - Theme of Simon.png
    04 - Theme of Simon.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 10

Ask a Question