Is this pedalboard a scam???

Reaction score
hello!!! buy this pedal board:

It has MIDI DIN cable. I've tested it on a KORG KRONOS, ROLAND RD-1000 and ROLAND FP-90 and it doesn't work. Does nothing.

It's very strange, because all the MIDI devices I've ever seen need batteries or to be connected to the electrical current. However, this pedal board has none of that, it does not have any type of electrical power.

This surprised me so much that I thought the pedal was a scam and that it would be empty inside, so I opened it (attached photos) and it has some mechanism, but not much.

The truth is that the pedal board is very good, it is robust and comfortable, but it does not work 🤣.

Do you think there is any way to make it work?

thank you!!!

Attachments

• 20240420_131433.jpg
    20240420_131433.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240420_131351.jpg
    20240420_131351.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240420_131344.jpg
    20240420_131344.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240420_131329.jpg
    20240420_131329.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240420_131319.jpg
    20240420_131319.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240420_130756.jpg
    20240420_130756.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240420_130424.jpg
    20240420_130424.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 9

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
MIDI includes a pin that is used to transmit power so a device can draw power from another device that it's connected to.

But not all devices are designed to be able to transmit power, or enough power, over their MIDI connector to be able to power a connected device.

I searched for "power over midi cable" to see if I could find any good information and this came up:

I quote from the relevant section, which is down a bit in the article:

Power Over MIDI

The final set of jumpers is SJ4, 5, 6 and 7. These are under the MIDI ports and implement for a form of power-over-MIDI.

Proceed with caution! Power-over-MIDI (or MIDI Phantom Power) isn't part of the MIDI standard, and several vendors have implemented proprietary versions. Before closing these jumpers, verify the voltages and pinouts of the connected devices!

Power over MIDI isn't actually defined by the MIDI Standard, and a number of manufacturers have proposed and implemented different schemes for providing power to a device over the MIDI cable.

There isn't much agreement on how this is implemented. Some vendors add two extra pins, using a 7-pin connector. Some vendors simply sip a tiny bit of current off pin 4, and some use the pins that are otherwise not used in standard. Similarly, the voltage available differs -- it might be 5 VDC, 12 VDC, or sometimes even 12 VAC!

Hmm, "a number of manufacturers have proposed and implemented different schemes for providing power to a device over the MIDI cable." I wonder if that might be one of the ways that different manufacturers try to lock you into buying peripherals from them instead of less expensive third-party peripherals?

Reaction score
Your keyboards dont supply midi power needed for the pedal board to work. You need to add this in between the keyboard and the pedal board:

Thank you!!! The problem is that I think there is a lack of more machinery, I think there is a lack of transistors, resistors, chips, etc. If I buy this device, it will cost me about €80 for shipping costs and it is possible that when I get home it will not work 😱 I think that to send MIDI, you need more than just pressing an electronic contact. what do you think??

Reaction score
hello!!! buy this pedal board:

It has MIDI DIN cable. I've tested it on a KORG KRONOS, ROLAND RD-1000 and ROLAND FP-90 and it doesn't work. Does nothing.

It's very strange, because all the MIDI devices I've ever seen need batteries or to be connected to the electrical current. However, this pedal board has none of that, it does not have any type of electrical power.

This surprised me so much that I thought the pedal was a scam and that it would be empty inside, so I opened it (attached photos) and it has some mechanism, but not much.

The truth is that the pedal board is very good, it is robust and comfortable, but it does not work 🤣.

Do you think there is any way to make it work?

thank you!!!
My dear friend, that pedal is surely not a MIDI pedal. There are only 3 switches just like that you find on a piano. It is surely not a universal pedal unlike stated but probably works only with a certain type of brand and model.

To begin with MIDI is isolated. That is the pedal is isolated from the keyboard by a photo IC chip inside, plus there has to be some other electronic components as well.

I wouldn't call it a scam, just a misunderstanding. But the advert is wrong and so you could send it back from where you bought it, stated as 'not as described'.

It also depends on what you want. A MIDI pedal is usually called a MIDI Foot Controller not just a sustain pedal. For example, like the Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller.

My recommendation is never to buy cheap Chinese stuff were MIDI is involved but look only for the recommended ones that you'll know they work for sure.

Good luck

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's not a MIDI port, even though it uses DIN 5. This pedal board is for a certain instrument. No idea which one though.

Reaction score
Querido amigo, ese pedal seguramente no es un pedal MIDI. Sólo hay 3 interruptores como los que se encuentran en un piano. Seguramente no es un pedal universal como se indica, pero probablemente sólo funcione con un determinado tipo de marca y modelo.

Para empezar, MIDI está aislado. Es decir, el pedal está aislado del teclado mediante un chip fotográfico IC en su interior, además tiene que haber algunos otros componentes electrónicos también.

Yo no lo llamaría una estafa, sólo un malentendido. Pero el anuncio es incorrecto, por lo que podrías devolverlo desde donde lo compraste, indicado como "no como se describe".

También depende de lo que quieras. Un pedal MIDI generalmente se llama controlador de pedal MIDI, no solo pedal de sostenido. Por ejemplo, como el pedal controlador MIDI Behringer FCB1010.

Mi recomendación es nunca comprar cosas chinas baratas donde se trate de MIDI, sino buscar sólo las recomendadas y sabrás que funcionan con seguridad.

Buena suerte
I think you are right in all your answers. Thanks!!!

Ask a Question