Logic Pro

Reaction score
Previously I tried Reason, Cakewalk and Ableton Lite and it was one problem after another on my PC or Windows Laptop so I more or less gave up on learning how to use a DAW.

Roll onto late last year and we bought a MacBook Air and then I bought a 25 key M-Audio Oxygen Pro controller and got Logic Pro.

Must say the Oxygen Pro was seen straight off by the MacBook but the controls did not, so I then looked at the instructions, followed them and hey presto everything works.

So onto learning Logic Pro, the Manual is clear as mud but as there are plenty of Video Tutorials on Youtube it was a case of sorting out which to watch!

Any that started wassup bro or hey man were consigned to the idiot list as were those that have presenters who constantly umm and errr, why is it some plonkers think that they are good at Teaching?

So after an hour I had found three guys who were worth following up on.

The first had a beginners getting started course of 35 minutes, number two was “all in“ with a two hour video, and the third a whole series of 70+ shorts each 10-15 minutes.

As Logic Pro comes with a whole host of pre made Loops it is pretty easy to get a grips simply by using the Loops and getting to know the shortcuts. It was a case of watching the video and trying to replicate the actions but using different Loops.

Adding a VST track, selecting the instrument(s) is easy and the fully sized keybed of the controller is for me pretty good to use and I am able to lay down a few bars of improv to go with the Loop based drums, bass, rhythm, lead tracks I created.

No masterpiece is ever likely to be created but it is early days and I am enjoying getting started with Logic.

Plus a review of the M-Audio Oxygen Pro

If you can recommend others to watch, please post a link.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, the only use most tutorials have for MIDI is attaching a single controller and using virtual instruments.

If you want to hook up multiple real world instruments in your studio you have your work cut out for you.

I'd be happy to advise on any issues you might run into.

Reaction score
Cheers Gary.

I call on you if I get stuck.

For now I just need a small lightweight system I can use when I am laid up recuperating after a hip correction Op that should be happening in the next few weeks, I’ll be more or less bed ridden for at least six weeks and on crutches for another six.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hip Ops are routine these days Col.
However, recovery could be a pain for you time wise. But bear with it mate and Manchester City will have you signed up as their primary Striker . . :)

Reaction score
The hip joint was replaced in 2019, alas it did not go well so this is corrective surgery that is not performed very often.

I’ll have to put no weight on the leg for at least six weeks, hence laid up.

Our NHS is so screwed up it has taken four years to get to this stage, where I see the Anaesthetist tomorrow at the PreOp.

No need to offer insults Ray, I’m a Manchester United supporter.

Ask a Question