Looking for a cheap pro model that does strings well, and uncomplicated 61 keys, light, easy

Reaction score
Hi keyboardists, My first post. I hope this is not too off the wall. I am a sax player. Semi professional. Weekend band, play 3 to 5 times a month. Have been recruited to a tribute band doing Kenny Rogers music. I am doing sax and backup vocals. Sax is limited with Kenny Rogers, so I am adding strings to some of the ballads. I am not a keyboard player. I have used one on gigs before, after someone has shown me the chords to play. I used to have a Juno 6 back in the day. I currently have a very large and bulky Casio WK-1630. it works fine in my practice area, to work out parts, tune etc etc, but not as a keyboard for performances. I just bought a Casio CT-460 with 61 keys and much lighter, but the strings are OK, can't modify attack, and can't change the range of the keyboard, so I can't go high enough.
Ideally, I am looking for suggestions for a light keyboard that does strings well, I prefer 61 keys as the footprint is more manageable. But I would need to be able to shift the range on the keyboard, so I can get higher pitch notes, the higher register. I would prefer a 'line out' rather than the headphone jack. I do not know anything about MIDI. I could learn if necessary, but I am looking for a self contained unit, not looking to set up a laptop, and and interface, I already have 3 saxes and a flute to set up. would love the keyboard to be easy.
What used model, inexpensive new model will fit this niche? Thank you in advance for reading through this!

Reaction score
If decent strings is what you're wanting - Yamaha PSR-473 61 Key is a better choice than Casio. I have a Casio CTK7000 and a CTX-3000 - the CTK 7000 being a better board for piano and definitely electric piano and organs - but the strings lack compared to Yamaha. What you want is stereo (L & R) outputs - if you want to run mono, you use the L only. The "Headphone or line out" single output cuts much of the signal.

Reaction score
more options to consider:

Casio CT-S500 - inexpensive and meets your other requirements (light, compact, adjustable attack, line out, easy octave shifting). Better sound set than the earlier Casios, so don't judge its sounds by those (though I don't know how the strings in particular compare).

Also possibly the Korg i3 (current model, not the one from long ago), which is even lighter (though pricier). I haven't used that one, though, so I can't speak to its facilities for octave switching or attack adjustments, you'd have to download and check the manual for that.

Reaction score
CK61 could be a good choice, if it meets where OP draws the line at what's "cheap." ;-) It's got clear dedicated octave and attack controls right on the front panel, along with other useful controls.

Reaction score
Thank you AScott, HRat and REye, All good stuff. That Yamaha CK 61, the Korg i3 are pretty amazing keyboards. If I end up buying a new Keyboard, I am inbetween the Casio S500 and the Yamaha PAR-E473. The Casio is 10 pounds, and the Yamaha is 15 pounds. and both are pretty resonable price. I would like to make a day trip and play them both to hear the strings in particular, lots of Youtubes with other sounds. they both sound great. The Korg and the CK-61 are way cool, but way out of my league, and price is approaching $1000
What I was hoping for was somebody to tell me that, of the 1000's of used keyboards on ebay and marketplace, that the 15 year old blah blah model does what you are looking for, and some lady has one in the closet the her kid used to play for 3 months, and they just want it out of there, for $100. There are some nice older keyboards for sale, but it looks like most are priced over $200, and for that, I might just as well go with the New Casio for just around $300.
You guys have been a great help, and if you can think of the older 'diamond in the rough' that I can steal somewhere, I would appreciate it, but I think I have some great choices for cheap new models.

Reaction score
Do mind that the Yamaha PAR -E473 has polyphony of 64 so as soon when delay or reverb is used this drop s polyphony to a lower number. I payed 400 euro for a Yamaha PSR 9000 and this has 126 polyphony and yamaha patches also from Tyros 3.

Reaction score
Do mind that the Yamaha PAR -E473 has polyphony of 64 so as soon when delay or reverb is used this drop s polyphony to a lower number. I payed 400 euro for a Yamaha PSR 9000 and this has 126 polyphony and yamaha patches also from Tyros 3.
64 Poly really isn't that discernible from 128 if you're not playing huge fat patches with 4 hands - but definitely - nothing below 64 Poly.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
64 Poly really isn't that discernible from 128 if you're not playing huge fat patches with 4 hands - but definitely - nothing below 64 Poly.
64 polyphony is OK as long as you aren't using the arranger features of the board.

And as for how global and insert FX affect polyphony, it depends entirely on the DSP design and routing in the sound engine. Stacked FX can have seriously deleterious effect on polyphony if the CPU is underpowered to begin with.

Reaction score
Yamaha E series strings are very similar to Casio’s, honestly I’d avoid both.

The E473 strings are strained in tone as is the brass.

You are better limiting looking and trying:-

Roland Juno DS

Korg Kross 2

Yamaha CK61

All these are sub $1000 and they trash the Casio and E series with regard to quality of tones.

Ask a Question