Moving to London from Sydney (Australia) ... Need some advice?? Please?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So as the title states I'm moving to London at the end of this week (Thursday) for a job. As much as I'm looking forward to the experience, I'm really disappointed I won't be bringing my keyboards and studio gear because it's all simply to big and a bit heavy for me to take with everything else I'll need like clothes, I will be storing at my parents place until I return.

Basically, I would like your advice on a few things in terms of organising a gigging/home studio setup based from my laptop. I will also have some rules/guides to help you get an idea of what I'm after.

Gear:
1) I want to purchase a full-size keyboard while I'm in England, either 76 or 88 keys, weighted is definitely preferred. At the moment I'm thinking of something along the lines of the Korg SV1 which gives me all the bread and butter sounds and allows midi connection for synths from my laptop. I'll set my budget for this at £1000 Any advice on which keyboards to look at (new or second-hand) would be much appreciated!!

2) I will need a small audio interface (2+ in/4+ out) for home/studio use. I think Focusrite make a version of the saffire or scarlet that would suit my needs, the interface can either be USB or firewire (firewire preferred). I'll set the budget at £250 for the interface.

3) I'll need 2 D.I.'s for gigging and studio use to play the keyboard in stereo. I'm looking at around £100-50 for both.

4) Studio monitors. I use a pair of Adam A5X at home in Sydney, and have a pair of Senheiser HD280 pro's to give you an idea of the sound quality I'll be comparing to. The budget for the monitors will be £300-400 (for the pair).

5) Keyboard speaker for gigging purposes. I'm not sure whether to go for a dedicated keyboard and or stick with a PA speaker?? I currently use some QSC K10's with my keyboards in Sydney. I'm looking at a budget of £200 for this.

So as mentioned before, here are my guidelines to help you help me:
- I play pretty much anything (jazz, fusion, pop, rock, etc) basically whatever is needed at the time.
- Fully weighted keys are highly recommended.
- Everything can be new or secondhand (Speakers new preferably).
- Keep gigging gear as light as possible.
- Will be travelling alone.
- Needs good Piano and EP sounds, hammond I don't use as much but still needs to be relatively good.
I think that's everything ...

One more question, where do you think the best place in London is to look for keyboards and other gear mentioned above?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice!!!

I'm flying out tomorrow (will be in London on Friday), any last minute advice? haha

Reaction score
I am in London too. Guitarist and looking to be in a band if that interests you...

More importantly, could you tell me which speakers you got? I want to buy a keyboard (almost decided which one), but now I am struggling to decide on which speakers to get..

Any help would be appreciated.. thanks

Reaction score
Hi ardeshir19 (apologies about the delay in my response ... only just got internet in my apartment)

I'm definitely interested in finding a band (as soon as I get a keyboard)!!! I haven't really had a chance to have a good look for one since I started work but now I've got time so shouldn't be too long :)
Don't think I'll be able to fit as much as I'd like but at least I'll still be able to use my Adam A5X studio monitors =D

Anyway, I have recently found out that I don't need to purchase a new set of speakers as the ones I've left in Australia can be used over here and since I'm going home for christmas, I'll be bring as much back with me as I can!! BUT if your looking for an amp to use for gigging purposes I'd suggest a QSC K10 or similar (1000W/Class D) keep in mind that there are other companies who have cheaper speakers using the same technology - I'll be looking for something similar when I pick up a keyboard simply because they're not really heavy, great sound (from most) and have enough power to compete with guitarists ;)

Ask a Question