Numa Compact 2x USB Audio intermittently not working

Reaction score
It's an internment issue, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My C2x is plugged into a USB port on my MacbookPro. I know that the USB connection works, because the laptop receives and responds to MIDI data from the Numa, and also because the laptop recognizes the USB C2x as an option for audio ouptput (and input) and lets me select it. But the external audio being sent from the laptop to the Numa doesn't sound, out of its headphone or main output ports, I can't hear anything. Usually it all works fine when I've got it set up in my bedroom but fails when I'm at a gig or rehearsal!

Anyway, I thought that updating the Numa's firmware to the latest version (1.20 I believe) had fixed the issue because it didn't happen for several days after I did so, but then it happened again on last night's gig and I couldn't get my laptop audio happening. On the bright side, and it's one of the reasons I got the 2x in the first place, I was able to switch to its internal sounds and get by for the set using those.

Has anybody else had this issue with the Compact 2x, any advice or insight? Do I have a setting wrong?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In MIDI Studio do you have both Numa ports enabled?

There are some limitations when using the internal soundcard in the Numa with a DAW like Logic Pro.

An additional soundcard for audio IO should solve the problem.

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. Yes, I was thinking I may have to revert to using an external audio interface in order to work around this if I can't get it fixed. Defeats one of the reasons I got the Numa in the first place but I might have to deal, since otherwise I still really like the keyboard. But I'll check those settings on the macbook, thanks

Reaction score
In MIDI Studio do you have both Numa ports enabled?

There are some limitations when using the internal soundcard in the Numa with a DAW like Logic Pro.

An additional soundcard for audio IO should solve the problem.
My host app is GigPerformer, not exactly a DAW (now like a live performance manager akin to MainStage) but I guess it could also be prone to the limitations you mention. Again, the app (like the computer) recognizes the C2X as an audio output destination and lets me select it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Like I said, my workaround is to use the USB Audio USB Audio IN/OUT built into my mixer.

Studio Flowchart.jpg

The flowchart is a bit out of date, but the Numa is subbing for the Kurzweil right now until I can get it repaired.

Reaction score
I don't have a mixer in my rig, but the idea is the same. Right now I'm planning to send the audio from the Numa into the line input on my PreSonus audio interface, in effect turning that into a two-channel mixer where I can switch over to the Numa's sounds if there's ever a problem with the laptop/usb.

New question though, stemming from that plan;

I can use the headphone jack on the Numa as an additional mono audio out, correct? The manual makes it sound like that, although it also says it has to do with a Global Edit setting, which I then can't identify what it means:

"The Headphones output can be used with an headphones set or as an extra audio auxiliary output, according to the setting
of the related GLOBAL edit function (explained in this manual)"

What does that last clause refer to? I can't find any setting under the Global Edit section in the manual that seems to have anything to do with this.

Reaction score
No, thank you, but I know that. What I can't figure out is what setting under Global Edit (I've scrolled through them all) has anything to do with the headphones output being used as an auxiliary mono out, as described in the passage I quoted from the manual. Fo you know what they are talking about?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The edit button has different menus depending on which other buttons are active at the time,

Reaction score
I know that too. Just wondering if you or anyone reading knows what is referred to by this in the manual:

"The Headphones output can be used with an headphones set or as an extra audio auxiliary output, ***according to the setting of the related GLOBAL edit function (explained in this manual) **"

WHAT specifically is the "related global edit function," in this context? What setting/where, has to do with the headphone output? I have scrolled through, and read the descriptions in the manual about, the 23 settings I find listed under GLOBAL Edit, and none of them seem to relate to this.

Thanks again for engaging, I appreciate it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take a closer look at the OUTPUT settings.

My guess would be that it allows impedance setting for the headphone jack.

Reaction score
Where's the "output settings," how do I get to that? Again I've looked through all the Global Settings and none relate to this. If there another whole section of different settings for output, I don't see it explained in the manual. I understand how the Edit button does different things depending on whether I'm in Sound or MIDI mode, on whether I am editing a program or one of the two individual parts in a program, etc.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Under global/speakers/(Auto/Off/Aux)

That's all she wrote. You wanna know what each one does?

Experiment for yourself.

Mine are Off.

Reaction score
I did see that setting, but reading the description and the meaning of those values in the manual, it doesn't seem to pertain at all to what I was asking about. Oh well, I'll do a little experimenting as you suggest and if it doesn't work, I will just use a 1/4" y-splitter to combine the L and R outs into a mono line in to my preSonus.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
NEVER use a y connection to merge 2 outputs!!!!

Always use a proper mixer!!!!

Else: POOF!!! Output channels try and drive each other and burn out!!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The internal soundcard chip in the Numa is a pretty basic beast with few bells or whistles.

Just accept that and use a mixer/soundcard.

Reaction score
I mean I really wasn't trying to use the advertised built-in usb audio interface in anything but the most basic way, and the only bell or whistle I was counting on would be that it works when connected, but no such luck, I guess.

Ask a Question