Oh No! Pa1000 Flooded

Reaction score
I was doing an outdoor gig with my Korg pa1000. Had it covered with a waterproof Cover. Suddenly it rained and the cover failed and leaked. Never again trust those covers, but a blue tarp would have been a better choice.
Turned my keyboard upside down and water poured out of it. Ouch! Lucky, no power was on, but concerned about the clock battery power section.
Opened it up and only item on the bottom half was the power supply. All the other electronics on the top half. Dried out everything with a hair dryer, let it sit in the sun a couple day’s.
It booted up and played normal. Have it insured, but a technician needs to verify it is non-repairable for full cost replacement.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Btw, if it were an iphone instead of a keyboard, any warranty claims would have been denied on the grounds of "abuse" :p

Do you mind my asking who underwrites the insurance?

God knows if I ever start playing out, I'd be tempted to buy a used Casio for gigging :p

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And in the long run, if any water got into any of the connector contacts or contact switches it's a given that the useful future life of the board has been greatly shortened.

It may pass inspection now, but in a few years or more corrosion will accelerate and and start opening circuits that should be closed.

My advice is to sell it off and buy a new one before it does die on you.

If you're an ethical salesman you will inform the buyer of the board's true history. :eek:

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Btw, if it were an iphone instead of a keyboard, any warranty claims would have been denied on the grounds of "abuse" :p

Do you mind my asking who underwrites the insurance?

God knows if I ever start playing out, I'd be tempted to buy a used Casio for
Thanks for your information. I have a PA5x and use my PA3x now on gig.

Reaction score
If you're an ethical salesman...

Ha, is there such a thing?!?

I worked in supply chain & purchasing for 30+ years, and I saw a lot of different sales people... And now I've worked in sales for the last 8 years (talk about "changing teams") -- so yes, I can say that!

As for the board...

It might help extend the useful life to spray some electrical cleaner (and NOT WD40) on any connections, and especially any wires around the power supply or wires in the bottom of it.

Old No7

Reaction score

I worked in supply chain & purchasing for 30+ years, and I saw a lot of different sales people... And now I've worked in sales for the last 8 years (talk about "changing teams") -- so yes, I can say that!

As for the board...

It might help extend the useful life to spray some electrical cleaner (and NOT WD40) on any connections, and especially any wires around the power supply or wires in the bottom of it.

Old No7
I kept it split open in the dry Phoenix Arizona sun for a long period…

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Unfortunately condensation carries contaminants that will accelerate the oxidation of unplated contacts.

Last time I checked, I've never seen a synth motherboard that used gold plated connectors :p

Give them a good spraying with DeOxit.

Reaction score
Last time we saw a band in a small outdoor venue the drummer and keyboard were both under cover in a 12x6 portable gazebo.

UK weather being what it is, any outdoor playing Band would be foolhardy not to play the what if card.

As it was it was a great Jazz concert in the grounds of a nearby castle, over lunch so everyone were picnicing like there was no tomorrow.

Reaction score
Played many outdoor gigs when in South Florida. Using my PA3x. Hot muggy sometimes. Had a sudden rain storm and able to cover my PA3x with a cloth table cloth. My speaker on the stands tipped over. This a while back and my PA3x is still surviving today. Still one of my favorites. PA5x is great too, but want to enjoy it at home. Beat up my 3x till death do us part…

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Old No7

That's a very sad and very American observation to make about the human race. :(

Some of us still believe in honest business practices. :p

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
To sell any commodity knowing it has a fault and to not expose that fault to the prospective buyer is absolute fraud.

The buyer will surely discover the fault after a short time and will nodoubtably get pissed off.

The seller should feel guilt (if they have a conscience) wondering if and when the buyer has discovered the fault.
How does one live with guilt?

The seller should expect retribution and deserve any retaliation which develops.

Just be honest and avoid all nasties.

Reaction score
That's a very sad and very American observation to make about the human race. :(

Some of us still believe in honest business practices. :p
It is very sad Gary that the majority of the so called free world have adopted the American Plutocratic method of Government and the Business Practices that go with it.

Hopefully before the Earth is destroyed by greed and a society can develop that serves the whole population and not a fraction of a percent of said population.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's a reason British Bobbies sometimes never carry a sidearm.

The crepuscular rot of capitalist extremism is everywhere these days :p

Most of the world is still trying to figure out why Trump's not in prison yet..

(E. Pluribus Unum" (Money talks, bullshit walks :D :D :D )

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To sell any commodity knowing it has a fault and to not expose that fault to the prospective buyer is absolute fraud.

The buyer will surely discover the fault after a short time and will nodoubtably get pissed off.

The seller should feel guilt (if they have a conscience) wondering if and when the buyer has discovered the fault.
How does one live with guilt?

The seller should expect retribution and deserve any retaliation which develops.

Just be honest and avoid all nasties.

Americans always settle their crap in court...

80% law and business students.

15% lesbian empowerment studies and clown colleges.

5% engineering students...

America's temples of higher learning... :p

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Technically, we still answer to the king, and until the pandemic we were happily nothing like them.

Same in Oz and UK?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Canada, UK and Oz are all part of the Commonwealth.
Generally we follow the guidelines of the Commonwealth.
But we are all sheep driven by the power force USA.
They say go to war, we all go to war.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Funny how a catastrophic failure can result in an ethical conundrum though.

American bashing aside, I have no use whatsoever for a dishonest vendor and the truth will always out itself in the end. 💩

Ask a Question