Roland J6 chord sequencer

Reaction score
When I hook up a key step 37 to the little J6 box it plays ok but if you try to input a sequence in the regular way using the 37 it doesn't remember any notes and the little keys don't blink for you either..
you can do a real time sequence with the record and play buttons but it seems to remember just random notes, its inconsistent.....I want to input notes one at a time in order and have it remembered in the J6....the J6 works normally if you just input the notes right on the J6 keyboard but I would prefer to do it on the key step 37.....anyone know what the story is ...?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

I just looked at this toy.

I wouldn't expect total MIDI capabilities.

Contact Roland if you think it's a dealbreaker and maybe they'll include it in an upcoming firmware update.

Don't forget, your Arturia is putting out MIDI notes with each keypress.

The J6 is expecting chord data as inputs.

Reaction score
the J6 has a non chord mode too. They communicate ok but there is something else that is not working...today it was Really screwed up.
I gave up on it. But I am curious how to troubleshoot stuff like this.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Examine the MIDI specs and use a MIDI monitor program like MIDIOX to see what's being sent.

Ask a Question