Stage keyboard for gigging bassist, less than $1K

Reaction score
You can post a song.

Create a Soundcloud account or even youtube, upload to it and then post a link to it.

See threads in the My Music section for their works that members have shared with us all.

Oogie Wa Wa

Nate, bass and keys for The Feds Band
Reaction score
EDIT: NEVERMIND. I'VE GOT ONE COMING!!! THANKY KINDLY FOLKS. I'll try to remember to post an update to this thread on how it works out if it's OK to do that in these forums.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I looked at some of the Roldands that were available. I've got some questions, some more general in nature, and not necessarily model specific; I've only ever bought one instrument online unseen, but that worked out really well. (A G&L 30th Anniversary L2000 4-string bass guitar in pearl white, my nicest and main gigging bass and it has become a dear friend!!!)

One well known site for used equipment has 14 of them available when I searched for US located, used, and in either Mint or Excellent condition. Prices varied from USD $550 to $950; some of the higher priced ones had some accessories that I don't really need included. However, many were local pickup only; and of course I don't live anywhere near any of them.

So I see that one of them mentions a "vintage" period, "2018-2021"; it being $599, $30 shipping. Over the model lifetime, was there that much variation in them? Anything physically changed to be aware of? And can an older model have it's firmware updated? Are there any physical changes that would reveal a unit's age and actually matter if not stated? Obviously a little dust in the photos vs being grimy is important.

Thanks one more time, I'm not exactly sure how to proceed. Any tips and experiences would be greatly appreciate. In fact I'm amazed at how much you kind folks have helped out, kudos to you all!!!

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There is no variation from 2016 to the present except for firmware updates.

Last update was years ago.

A Juno DS is a Juno DS regardless, except for the 76 key version which was originally released about a year and half after the 61 and 88 key versions.

Firmware can be updated on all the models, but make sure you choose correct version for the number of keys.

Serial number sticker should reveal exact age.

Gary ;)

Oogie Wa Wa

Reaction score
Bump; thanks again, folks, I should have the Juno in two days, and I did go and read through all of the manuals and watched about three dozen videos besides the Roland ones.

I still have a few questions, but you can probably guess what forum I'm headed to next! Other good resources y'all can recommend???

Can't wait, this ought to be a hoot! Thanks again!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check your firmware when you get it.

Last release was 2.11 March 2020.

You should be up to date with a new purchase though.

From now on, your primary job is to Experiment,...

AND HAVE FUN!!!! :D :D :D

Happy Halloween :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Er...

If yer lookin fer Juno DS Chat Boards,;?"...er...

Dis is it... :D

Seriously though I've seen far more tips and tricks and friendly banter here on Keyboardforums regarding the DS and keyboards in general than most of the other places.

Most of them are moderated to death, while others are overrun by a three ring circus.

If you're looking for info on musical typewriters, then you've already reached the promised land Bucko!!! :D

Set a spell...

Take yer shoes off...

Y'all come back soon, y'heah?

(Insert Awesome Flatt & Scruggs solo here)

l8-tah :)

Gary ;)

Oogie Wa Wa

Reaction score
I found that out, thanks! Good to hear. I never scrolled down to find the manufacturer subs before, didn't even know they were there. I've already read a half a dozen threads there.

I think I'm going to like it here...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It is customary for newcomers to supply the ancient wise ones here with wine, women or song... ;)

Which do you choose Grasshopper???

(We won't say no to all three :D )

Sleepytime in Kanuk land :)

Me go bye bye now :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
FWIW I have a 61-key Korg Kross that got heavy use playing out. The best feature of this keyboard is the weight - 10 lbs! I tried lugging a 30 lb 88-full weighted key monster to gigs and it just wasn't worth it. I needed two banks of presets - it was pretty easy to change presets during a song.

Good luck with the Juno!

Reaction score
Hi. Help!

I'd appreciate any help you kind folks can provide.

I'm in a 3-piece multi-genre band that plays out regularly. We've been together four years, and just played our 100th show last night.

In order to expand our depth, I've started playing a keyboard (Casio CTK-7200). Since I'm the bass player, and had spinet organ lessons as a kid, I'm splitting the keyboard, a bass tone on the left, and whatever else is needed on the right. I've got the bass side mostly panned to the left and send that output to the bass amp through a volume control, so I can pretty much can match the tone and volume of the bass guitar/keyboard, so it's hard to tell when I switch mid-song. Several bass players have told me that they couldn't even tell. I've got the right output going mostly to the PA. (I learned that hard pans limit the total signals being sent, so there's always 10-20% going to the opposite side. Plus I can hear some of the right side in my amp, so it serves as a monitor.)

This all works out pretty well, but the Casio has lost it's brain a couple of times after a few sets; bad output on the left channel. A quick power down/up and set the bank/registration was needed, but I don't really want that to happen again. Plus the quality of the sounds on this keyboard, particularly the pianos, isn't exactly the best quality. So I figure it's time for an upgrade.

Which leads to my question, finally. What would you folks recommend for a good 61 key arranger keyboard for live use at under a grand? I've looked at the Korg Kross 2 and the Roland Juno DS. Are there others I should also be considering, particularly newer ones that I may not be familiar with?

Highest on the priorities would be ease of use in a live situation, so quick access to the various presets I can make. Likewise, a less convoluted means of creating these presets would be very nice, although if I have to dig way down into a menu driven format it would be okay.

I obviously need line outs, splitting, layers (more than one would be nice,) panning and other controls like that. But also something with some decent sounds, particularly pianos, organs (B3?) and a good variety of other ones available (flute, oboe, kid's piano, brass section, string session and some others currently used.) I really have no use for the rhythms/styles/drum pads since I've got a real live drummer for that! Although having them doesn't hurt anything. I also have little or no use for the international sets of instruments for what we play. So those features aren't that important and don't have to be that good.

Thank you very much for any input you can provide, I really appreciate it.

Oh, PS; on-board speakers aren't a must, I've got amps to use at home, but right now I'm partly using the on-board ones to hear my playing. I don't want to have to push too much out through the PA monitors, so we can still hear our voices. Any suggestions on how to supplement that monitoring would be helpful. Maybe the headphone out if it didn't cut the line outs; or I could use a splitter to send part of the right line out to my personal monitor, as one alternative.

Edit: maybe useful info. The genres we play are various forms of rock, from southern to classic to progressive, light jazz, pop, country, blues, a bit of funk and some dance. Our typical venues are many fraternal organization clubs, various medium to larger size bars, and occasionally an indoor or outdoor festival. We usually have PA support for the festivals, otherwise it's just all our own equipment. And yes, I know, with the pans I'm losing stereo imaging, but since we run the PA in mono this way actually gives me a little of that effect between the PA and my bass amp.
You're probably playing the best Casio there is, unusual that this CTK should break down - I've been using the CTK-7000 for about 10 years and prefer it over the many other keyboards I have for live performance. It depends greatly on how you edit the perimeters of the patches - another inexpensive good keyboard for live play - Korg EK-50. Casio really messed their keyboard line up with the CTX series. I bought the CTX-5000 and it isn't nearly as full sounding as the CTK-7000.

Reaction score
I'll just chip in because no one has mentioned the Yamaha EW410.

I'm in a 3 piece band too, and I play EW400 (the slightly earlier model) which was 76 unweighted keys, variable split point, and you can pan the split voices hard left/right if you want to mix the 2 instruments in mono separately. The only down point is that the left hand split has no touch sensitivity. It's also possible to add a second layer instrument to the right hand side (but again there's a limitation on the touch sensitivity, in that both the main and dual instruments follow the touch - if you have a piano on main with a string pad on the dual instrument, you can't turn off the touch on the pad, which is a common desire). It's a composer workstation, so you still have all the styles, etc (that I make use of, because we're missing a drummer) and there's the option to upload user generate styles (there are some free downloads of these out there). The price is way under your budget - you get a lot of keyboard for your money with the EW410, which is why I don't mind gigging mine.

Just another solution to look at, even if you've already set your heart on something else.

Reaction score
Good luck Oogie with your Juno.

The Video Tutorials on Roland’s Youtube channel that I quoted earlier certainly helped me find my way around the DS OS when I went hands on in my local Music Store. I’ll include the link again to the Playlist webpage which is worth Bookmarking for ease of access.

Once again good luck.

Oogie Wa Wa

Reaction score
Got those last couple of comments; sorry for the delay, I've been quite busy between life events and being overwhelmed by the new tool. Again, really appreciated. It's good to know the options. Lord help me if I ever get a second one to stack.

Yeah, the CTK left output went out on me again during a gig Friday. :-( Heh, the guitar player looked over at me pounding on the darned thing and tweaking the output jack, and Saturday said "Hey, did you know that the bass dropped out on you?" Like yeah, I know, I know; why do you think I was in such a panic?! We were doing the long version of Radar Love, right during that big build, as the horns and trumpet portamento thing died off there was nothing coming out of the bass side. Fortunately I found out on the fly that if I go to another register and back it somehow resets. Which makes no sense from a hardware standpoint.

I've got a couple of questions, but I'll make as a new post; the answers are probably obvious, but my brain hurts right now. I'm going through most of the sounds one by one to see which ones we can use for our repitorie now, and what ones I'll probably want to put in a Favorite Bank with just general patches and performances. Like each with bass plus piano, B3-ish, EP, horns, strings, brass etc. Very tedious. Really glad that demo preview thing is there, though!!!

Thanky kindly again, kind folks.

Oogie Wa Wa

Reaction score
Talking of a second keyboard……………. ;-)
I've heard that's an issue!!!

Third, perhaps but doubtful, still got the Casio. But I could toss them both if I can't figure all this stuff out.

Hey, I'm just a simple bass player, I'm used to four strings; even the concept of a five string bass is foreign to me! I only picked it up when I was 50. I've gotta stop letting my band mates talk me into trying new things. They forced me get a microphone three years ago and I'm still struggling with that singing thing as it is.

Heh, an over the PA comment from our drummer last gig: "And that was Nate Wahl, singing lead, and playing bass and key bass, plus flute, piano and organ on that one; sometimes I wonder why he even brings us along." Never in a million years would I have thought....

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've heard that's an issue!!!

Third, perhaps but doubtful, still got the Casio. But I could toss them both if I can't figure all this stuff out.

Hey, I'm just a simple bass player, I'm used to four strings; even the concept of a five string bass is foreign to me! I only picked it up when I was 50. I've gotta stop letting my band mates talk me into trying new things. They forced me get a microphone three years ago and I'm still struggling with that singing thing as it is.

Heh, an over the PA comment from our drummer last gig: "And that was Nate Wahl, singing lead, and playing bass and key bass, plus flute, piano and organ on that one; sometimes I wonder why he even brings us along." Never in a million years would I have thought....

Wow man. And I thought everyone got into music in the first place because of the groupies ;) :D :D :D

Oogie Wa Wa

Reaction score
Wow man. And I thought everyone got into music in the first place because of the groupies ;) :D :D

Well, we have had some nice ladies from Missouri show up a couple of times over the years. ;)

But hey, it's a great hobby for a retired (early) guy, it keeps me out of the bars. Oh, wait....

Ask a Question