Time signature change

Reaction score
Hi, in the middle of the piece I'm working on, the time signature changed from 4/4 to 2/4 for a couple of measures then changed to back to 4/4
when using auto-accompaniment on yamaha e353 for the piece, I can only think of perhaps switching between 2 registers for this. Any easier ways?

Reaction score
This is from the Ballade Pour adeline. I'm trying to create auto-companiment on keyboard , then run into this time signature change issue. Any advice?thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-11-07-42-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-02-11-07-42-46.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 551
Reaction score
Aha. NOW I get it. I couldn't for the life of me work out why a song would go to...
2/4 for a couple of measures
...from 4/4. I also couldn't work out why it would be causing you a problem.

But it's actually only one bar, not two - so now the issue makes sense to me.

Thanks for that Ralph. I don't know anything about auto accompaniment but quite a few of the guys on here use it, so they should now be able to give you some great tips, I'm sure!

Reaction score
Aha. NOW I get it. I couldn't for the life of me work out why a song would go to...

...from 4/4. I also couldn't work out why it would be causing you a problem.

But it's actually only one bar, not two - so now the issue makes sense to me.

Thanks for that Ralph. I don't know anything about auto accompaniment but quite a few of the guys on here use it, so they should now be able to give you some great tips, I'm sure!
You're right. A couple of 2/4 =4/4 lol. my bad.

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I do the auto acmp thing.
I have no idea how one would change quickly from 4:4 to a 2:4 and back to a 4:4 all in the space of 2 bars. Is it possible?
I have stacks of sheet music and I am wracking my brain to remember which one I have which does a change from 4:4 to 3:4 and back again would you believe. It's a well known song and I am determined to find it and post it here.
I remember playing it (a year or so ago) and ignoring the time change and all sounded okay.
Anyway usually one can get away with playing short bits not exactly to the script. Sometimes I play a different chord than the script and all sounds ok.

Its late now and time to sleep but now I am going to be thinking all night what tune is it? :eek: :confused:
Could be a willie nelson song?
I will look him up tomorrow.
Anyway I think best when I am asleep:D
See ya's ray

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
As far as I know, the Yamaha Style File Format (SFF) doesn't support "half-bar fills," so you have to get creative.

Since a 4/4 bar could be thought of as two 2/4 bars combined, one possibility might be to create or choose a style that uses 2/4 time. The best results might be to create your own style file, so you can make the Main sections sound like they're using bars of 4/4 time instead of multiple bars of 2/4 time.

The only other ideas I can think of involve using two or more Registrations to switch back and forth as desired.

One idea would be to have one Registration set up with a style that uses 4/4 time, and another set up with a style that uses 2/4 time, making sure the Tempo is set to the same value in both Registrations.

Another idea would be to have two Registrations set up with the same style as each other, but different Tempos-- one Tempo being exactly twice as fast as the other.

The thing is, when you save a Style Number in a Registration, you can also save the Style Main A/B setting, so you can recall a Registration that will switch to either Main A or Main B of a desired style, but you can't recall it so that it's playing either Fill-In A>B or Fill-In B>A. So you'd have to use either Main A or Main B of the 2/4 style as though it were a Fill-In, which might involve some careful planning and carefully-timed button pressing.

Also, doesn't the PSR-E3xx series use the numeric keypad to recall Registrations 1 through 9, such that you need to press two buttons to recall a specific Registration? That might also make it a bit tricky to pull off smoothly.

Reaction score
Also, doesn't the PSR-E3xx series use the numeric keypad to recall Registrations 1 through 9, such that you need to press two buttons to recall a specific Registration? That might also make it a bit tricky to pull off smoothly.
Indeed. Pretty hard to switch back and forth with only one 2/4 measure.

So it seems either have to use 2/4 across the whole piece, or have to deviate from the original sheet music.

Thank you all for the advice!

Ask a Question