What keyboard do you recommend when switching from a real piano (Schimmel)

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to purchase a digital (electric) piano as I am moving into an apartment. I own a real piano (Schimmel) and would like something that sounds and feels as much like a real piano as possible. What do you suggest? Many thanks!

Reaction score
I'm looking for a piano that sounds and feels as much like a real piano as possible. I don't need any special arranging features.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Roland Rd-2000, Yamaha CP-90, etc.

There are dozens.

Do your homework and go take some test drives.

I have no idea what works best for you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What you are asking is HIGHLY subjective.

No one can tell you what YOU like.

Pound pavement and test them out.

Reaction score
Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Nord and Kawai.

Totally depends upon your budget and which has keybed action that is closest to your physical preferences.

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer Yamaha products for sound quality and playability.
After experiencing Yamaha arranger features, I wouldn't want to be without them.
They allow you to achieve musical feats that would normally require an orchestra.
These keyboards can be configured to play like a piano, with or without arranger features.

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to purchase a digital (electric) piano as I am moving into an apartment. I own a real piano (Schimmel) and would like something that sounds and feels as much like a real piano as possible. What do you suggest? Many thanks!
Unfortunately, despite an individual's preferences for one thing over another, the feel of a keybed is very subjective. There is simply no way to tell what you would like from reading about it. You have to try it. I wish there was an easier way.

Now for my troll moment: Roland is the best.
Okay, everyone, come out swinging...

🙃

Reaction score
Along with all the above advice you should try out the keyboards with your favorite and most comfortable headphones. Even though you probably will want the option of playing silently if your neighbors show up at your door with pitchforks and torches....and for our UK friends I don't mean a flashlight.

I agree that it's best for you to try out as many keyboards as you can understanding that not all keyboards from any brand will feel the same under hand.

Reaction score
I agree with all the comments about looking for the feel and sound that work for you. Additionally, the way you framed your question suggests that you are just looking to change your instrument for smaller quarters. My father was playing a Boston baby grand, and traded it for a Yamaha clavinova when he moved to assisted living. He's quite happy with it.

I supplement my acoustic piano with a Casio keyboard. My top criteria were 1) silent practice when my wife would be disturbed and 2) taking the keyboard with us when we visit a family second home. Over time I've added uses, like using the harpsichord voice to try my hand at some harpsichord music and recording one part of a piano duet so my father and I can practice between my visits.

The point is, in addition to the feel, think about things that an electric piano (or keyboard) might do that you cannot currently do with an acoustic piano. My only problems with my Casio is a limitation with their optional sostenuto pedal and their proprietary file format. I would be happy to go into more detail on those if you ask.

Reaction score
To get the same key action as your accoustic piano would require electronic pianos in roughly $2500 to $6000 range. Buying a good used one could be an option to save some money. I bought a new Yamaha DXG 670 after owning an 18yr.old Yamaha Clavinova and needed a smaller semi portable under $1000. The key action is much lighter than the Claviova and is fairly similar to some acoustic pianos I've played. But like everyone else is saying try a bunch of brands and models to find one to your liking. Side note: Electric Pianos are always in tune.

Ask a Question