How have recording not start until measure 8

Reaction score
I'm working on some sheet music from Musescore which has several instruments. I would like to do something that the Yamaha may not support. Hopefully someone here can tell me otherwise.

The first instrument I want to record does not start at measure1. I do not see how to record that instrument firist, as it will not start actually recording until I play a note. Is sthere any way to have it record 'nothing' for however many measures? Said another way, I want the recordding to be at measure 8 when this instruments starts.

Can this be accomplishsed?

Reaction score
What about recording first another instrument, which starts at measure 1? Then you can record instruments starting at other measures.
Or you can record like you have described and then manually change all bar numbers from 1 upwards to 8 upwards.
Or you can record like ypu have described and resulting midi file edit in some midieditor, where you add 7 empty bars at the beginning.

Reaction score
"Or you can record like you have described and then manually change all bar numbers from 1 upwards to 8 upwards"

@Lacko I presume you mean in a DAW such as @happyrat1 mentioned. Your comment did prompt me to go in and look at the song creator in the yamaha, and I found that that allows you to mix two different channels together and record them in one other channel. That could certainly be handy if a person wanted to use more than 16 tracks. 🤓

In fact the way I have been doing it all along is by recording whichever one starts closest to measure one. I do need to take a time to learn a doll. I do have one I've downloaded but haven't went down that learning path yet.

Reaction score
There are also free midi editors like e.g. Anvil Studio, where you can insert some bars in front of any channel in your midi file recorded in keyboard. Just an option...

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you're recording a song as MIDI, you could try using a style that's basically just a drum on each beat-- sort of like a metronome-- and let that play for however measures you want while you record it, then start playing the part you actually want to record when you get to the desired measure.

Afterward you could delete the accompaniment track, although you would probably want to keep it until after you've recorded any additional parts on other tracks, as it should help you start playing each additional part at the desired time.

Reaction score
If you're recording a song as MIDI, you could try using a style that's basically just a drum on each beat-- sort of like a metronome-- and let that play for however measures you want while you record it, then start playing the part you actually want to record when you get to the desired measure.

Afterward you could delete the accompaniment track, although you would probably want to keep it until after you've recorded any additional parts on other tracks, as it should help you start playing each additional part at the desired time.
That's a good idea.

Ask a Question