Keyboard with desktop app for editing patches?

Reaction score
I'm currently using a Roland RD88 stage piano for my live looping improv project. I'm sick of scrolling through and writing patches with the keyboard - it takes too long. Is there a keybaord that has a computer application that can more quickly scroll through patch libraries and assign patches to favorite banks?

thanks

Reaction score
That's ok, it doesn't need to have a looper. Can you tell me some keyboards comprable to the RD88 that have computer editors/librarians? thanks!

Reaction score
"comparable" to RD88 depends on what parameters you're comparing, but if we're talking about lightweight and modestly priced 88s, ones that come to mind are Roland Juno DS88 and Korg Kross 88 (which have free computer-based editors, and also Yamaha MX88 and CK88 (which have ones you can buy from John Melas, free demo available). A good starting point might be to download those apps and check them out.

ETA: Casio PX-5S could be another possibility, And there are some Kurzweils, but their SoundTower editors have a reputation for being problematic, and I'm not sure they actually do what you're asking about, assign patches to Favorite locations. But again, you can download the apps for free and examine them for yourself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
"comparable" to RD88 depends on what parameters you're comparing, but if we're talking about lightweight and modestly priced 88s, ones that come to mind are Roland Juno DS88 and Korg Kross 88 (which have free computer-based editors, and also Yamaha MX88 and CK88 (which have ones you can buy from John Melas, free demo available). A good starting point might be to download those apps and check them out.

ETA: Casio PX-5S could be another possibility, And there are some Kurzweils, but their SoundTower editors have a reputation for being problematic, and I'm not sure they actually do what you're asking about, assign patches to Favorite locations. But again, you can download the apps for free and examine them for yourself.
What keyboards would you recommend in general that have computer based editors? Regardless of if they're comparable to the RD - 88. thanks!

Reaction score
Lots of boards have computer editors. Your choices would depend on what kinds of sounds and functions you need, how many keys and what kind, budget, weight limits, speakers, etc. What are you looking for that is not satisfied by the ones I mentioned?

Reaction score
Lots of boards have computer editors. Your choices would depend on what kinds of sounds and functions you need, how many keys and what kind, budget, weight limits, speakers, etc. What are you looking for that is not satisfied by the ones I mentioned?
Actually the mx88 would be great. But in general, I don't need a workstation. I need an 88 key weighted keyboard with a great sound engine, a large sound library, an ability to add new sounds, an editor software to more quickly scroll through and select favorite patches, ability to use as a controller and to connect to an ipad, and onboard speakers would be great if possible. The rd88 has all of that except the editor software and it's not able to add a large number of new patches.

Reaction score
MX88 isn't a workstation... but you can't really add new sounds to it, you can only save new variations of the sounds it already has. But it has a pretty decent selection. The other way to add news sounds would be to connect it to an external device that has the additional sounds... it could be something like an iPhone or iPad. If you wanted a Yamaha 88 you could add new sounds to, you'd have to go to a higher model, like the MODX8.

Editor software doesn't help you more quickly scroll through and select favorite patches, but librarian software lets you re-order the patches more easily than you can on the boards themselves, so that can be a help in that respect.

Probably the least expensive board that has everything you asked about is the Roland Juno DS88.

Reaction score
MX88 isn't a workstation... but you can't really add new sounds to it, you can only save new variations of the sounds it already has. But it has a pretty decent selection. The other way to add news sounds would be to connect it to an external device that has the additional sounds... it could be something like an iPhone or iPad. If you wanted a Yamaha 88 you could add new sounds to, you'd have to go to a higher model, like the MODX8.

Editor software doesn't help you more quickly scroll through and select favorite patches, but librarian software lets you re-order the patches more easily than you can on the boards themselves, so that can be a help in that respect.

Probably the least expensive board that has everything you asked about is the Roland Juno DS88.
Ahh ok then librarian software is what I'm looking for thanks! Ok I'll check out the Roland. Sounds like the MODX8 would also cover the bases for me at a higher price?

Reaction score
Yes, MODX (or MODX+) will do it. There is assorted software available for it at http://www.jmelas.gr/montage/products.php including librarian, but also, the MODX has a touchscreen and a "Live Set" mode that allows you to easily group/access sounds however you want, without even having to use additional software, which might be enough for you. But you can get the software if you need more than what that can do.

Roland Fantom-08 could be another possibility, it has a Scene Chain mode which allows you to re-order sounds for different sets/gigs. But it does not have any kind of librarian software available, so while you can do a lot with its internal features, if you want something computer-based with more flexibility, it does not have that option.

Ask a Question