Midi2style - How to convert the styles to MIDI

Reaction score
Hi there

I have a Korg Pa3Xm which doesn't have the function, to convert SMF into style.
I found the Yamaha "midi2style", which seems to be an excellent software.
I converted SMS and got .sts file.
Is there an option to convert Yamaha styles ( .sts) into MIDI files?

If this is possible, I can use this styles on Korg PA3X.

Thanks in advance

Mayo

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
IIRC, Yamaha style files technically are MIDI files, although they do include proprietary types of "chunks" in addition to their standard MIDI chunks. The MIDI standard says that MIDI-compatible devices should just ignore any data chunks they aren't programmed to recognize and respond to, therefore you could try simply renaming the files to a ."MID" extension, then try using the renamed file with your other keyboard or software to see if it works.

An alternative would be to use the Style Split and Splice software to separate the style file into two parts, the standard MIDI part and the proprietary part.

Either way, the standard MIDI data might be difficult to work with, since the style's musical data will be in the form of one-off style sections (intros, fill-ins, and endings) as well as sections designed to be played as loops (the main sections), so it isn't as though you can simply play the MIDI data from beginning to end like a song.

Plus, most of the musical data will be transposed to the CMajor7 "key" and is designed to be dynamically transposed to other keys and chords as the keyboard is playing the style, in response to the keys and chords that you're playing in the accompaniment section of the keyboard.

Add to that the fact that the voices and kits used by the style will be ones that are available on the Yamaha model that the style came from or was programmed for, so the Bank Select and Program Change values will need to be converted to suitable equivalents for the target keyboard.

The kit voices (drum kits and sound effect kits) will be especially tricky, since kit voices are designed such that the specific sounds to be played are specified by the Note values, so potentially you will also need to transpose some Note events to other Note events in order to select a reasonable substitute sound from whichever kits you have converted the Bank/Program data to select.

Reaction score
Happy Rat

Thanks for the suggestions.

The main issue is the follwoing:

You say: "... therefore you could try simply renaming the files to a ."MID" extension, then try using the renamed file with your other keyboard or software to see if it works."

This doesn't work at least not in Cubase 10 elements.

If I have the file as a MIDI standard, I know how to edit it, and make it work on Korg PA.

This is the real question actually - "How to convert .sts file into .mid?"

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I would try the style splice program to see if it can separate .STS files into their MIDI and "non-MIDI" portions. I don't know whether that program can load .STS files, but if they're Yamaha style files then hopefully it can.

Reaction score
IIRC, Yamaha style files technically are MIDI files, although they do include proprietary types of "chunks" in addition to their standard MIDI chunks. The MIDI standard says that MIDI-compatible devices should just ignore any data chunks they aren't programmed to recognize and respond to, therefore you could try simply renaming the files to a ."MID" extension, then try using the renamed file with your other keyboard or software to see if it works.

An alternative would be to use the Style Split and Splice software to separate the style file into two parts, the standard MIDI part and the proprietary part.

Either way, the standard MIDI data might be difficult to work with, since the style's musical data will be in the form of one-off style sections (intros, fill-ins, and endings) as well as sections designed to be played as loops (the main sections), so it isn't as though you can simply play the MIDI data from beginning to end like a song.

Plus, most of the musical data will be transposed to the CMajor7 "key" and is designed to be dynamically transposed to other keys and chords as the keyboard is playing the style, in response to the keys and chords that you're playing in the accompaniment section of the keyboard.

Add to that the fact that the voices and kits used by the style will be ones that are available on the Yamaha model that the style came from or was programmed for, so the Bank Select and Program Change values will need to be converted to suitable equivalents for the target keyboard.

The kit voices (drum kits and sound effect kits) will be especially tricky, since kit voices are designed such that the specific sounds to be played are specified by the Note values, so potentially you will also need to transpose some Note events to other Note events in order to select a reasonable substitute sound from whichever kits you have converted the Bank/Program data to select.
Programm Free;Midi To Style on internet....

Ask a Question