Pedals

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a unit that handles sustain/sostenuto/expression pedals with 1/4 inch input jacks for standard pedals? I could use something like this. I am back lining keys on fly dates, using MainStage, and I’d like to not have to deal with setting up unfamiliar keyboards before soundcheck. Bypassing keyboard architecture seems like a good idea.

5 pin Midi output preferred.

Using a MioXM and Radial KL-8.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I used one of these with a Kurzwel PC3K8.

Triple pedal unit with a single cable terminated with three 1/4 inch TS jacks.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply happyrat1. I’m a Kurzweil user too. What I am looking to do is bypass the keyboard. Have the pedals NOT into the keyboard but into a separate unit that can then send midi out via 5 pin midi, or usb if 5 pin midi out isn’t an option.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm not even sure sostenuto and soft pedal are MIDI parameters.

What you'd need is the pedal unit I listed and a raspberry Pi box running the MIDI input software for you.

There are dedicated MIDI sustain pedals out there, but I've never seen a triple version.

Reaction score
happyrat1 I really appreciate your replies. I am not looking for pedals. I am looking for a unit to plug pedals into that can then send midi out from the pedals. Looked at the Raspberry stuff. Didn’t know what I was looking at or how it would help me.

PS- Sostenuto and una corda (soft) are indeed midi CC parameters. Midi 66 and 67 respectively iirc.

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, you want to plug a few "sustain pedals" into a box and have that box transmit MIDI cc messages to your kb. As HappyRat says, there are many MIDI foot controllers but I don't know of any that don't come with their own footswitches. Keymaninaz probably has the best suggestion, I will look into something like that myself.

I use a Boss GT1000 to send MIDI cc messages, such as modulation, sustain, etc. I also use it with a stereo in for audio processing. And a volume pedal. And a solo boost. Plus you can plug 2 latched/unlatched pedals into it for more control. The trade-off is using regular, old, stomp-box style footswitches for sustain. But I'm Ok with it for all the rest of the functionality. I don't need a Key Largo or anything...

Reaction score
I have found something like what I’m looking for, although I’m told it has poor reviews.

Reaction score
M-Vave Chocolate has a nice pedal too. Can also send System Exclusive as well as Midi CC, PC. Only thing the footprint of the pedal is very small, recommend mounted on a pedal board. You can program 8 functions on one pedal using short Press and long press. It also has a port for expression or can be programmed as a midi out port. Very inexpensive at around $35. I have a rack of 3 mounted with expression pedal for Korg PA5x. Works flawlessly so far.
I pair the three pedals to my iPad using an app called MidiFlow. Then I plug in my iPad to the midi device port. This a recommended app if you need to connect and merge several pedals.
Please note the pedals are plugged into a battery pack, upper left. When I need to charge them, I turn on battery pack. Otherwise they are wireless Bluetooth LE.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question