VST Sound Output

Reaction score
I have a quick question. I have my computer connected to some small monitor speakers and my keyboards connected to some bigger Focal monitors through my Radial KL8 interface. If I get some VSTs by defult I presume when I use my keyboard as a MIDI the sound of the VSTs will come through my computer monitors not my keyboard monitors? How do I get the sound to come through my main keyboard monitors?...

I could route the USB cable through my KL8 interface rather than directly through my keyboard would that make a difference?

Thank you!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If your keyboard has a built-in audio interface (many do not), you could probably send the computer's output directly to the keyboard over its USB connection.

If your keyboard does not have a built-in audio interface, you can typically use an audio cable to go from the computer's headphones jack to your keyboard's microphone jack if it has one.

If your keyboard doesn't have anything like that, you can send both the computer's audio output and the keyboard's audio output to a mixer, then send the mixer's audio output to whatever speakers you want the sound to come out of.

Reaction score
If your keyboard has a built-in audio interface (many do not), you could probably send the computer's output directly to the keyboard over its USB connection.

If your keyboard does not have a built-in audio interface, you can typically use an audio cable to go from the computer's headphones jack to your keyboard's microphone jack if it has one.

If your keyboard doesn't have anything like that, you can send both the computer's audio output and the keyboard's audio output to a mixer, then send the mixer's audio output to whatever speakers you want the sound to come out of.
Thank you so much, I appriciate your help. Might be on to something as I have a Yamaha YC88 and a Roland Fantom. I am pretty sure the YC has an audio interface built in.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Thank you so much, I appriciate your help. Might be on to something as I have a Yamaha YC88 and a Roland Fantom. I am pretty sure the YC has an audio interface built in.

One way you can usually (always?) tell with a Yamaha is by which version of the USB driver it uses.

If it uses the standard Yamaha USB MIDI driver, then it does not have a built-in USB audio interface.

If it uses the Steinberg USB AUDIO/MIDI driver, then it does have a built-in USB audio interface.

Ask a Question